Tuesday 21 June 2011

Shrine Art Installation for The Great Rinsing

In the tunnelling cellars of the Pump House, preparations for The Great Rinsing are taking place. This site specific event combines live performance with film, sound and installations, presented by Wimborne's Community Theatre.

Today, within the pitch black labyrinth of the Pump House, I composed my installation into the opening of a large pipe, about one foot diameter, curving down into the unknown and beyond.

This piece is called 'The Journey and The Home'. It combines illustration, poetry, wire work and three books; an old encyclopedia opened on the page of a world map, a old poetry book, and a miniature book the wire figurine is reading, titled 'The Journey and The Home by Hazel Evans'. The backdrop illustration of a quirky house is lit from behind, and the wire person is sitting reading in the silhouette of the poetry graffitied over the image of the house.



The Journey and The Home
From this place I call home I can see the sky,

A wide open space where clouds powder by,

An emptiness so full with thoughts left half thunk,

A glass of tasty travels not even half drunk.

So no matter where I go on this voyage of me,

There are still pages unwritten about this journey.

Still places to go and faces to know,
Places to plant seeds and watch them grow.

No matter where I go there will always be a home,
In the memories and words as I sit here alone.

Make of it what you will, any thoughts and interpretations welcome.